December 10, 2019 at 4:30PM •
1 hour 12 minutes
DISCUSSED: Drafts for Mac is out!; check out Damon Lindelof on The Watch; suggestions for HomeKit power strips; and responses to listener letters on rediscovering the joys of physical media and getting started with addressing chronic pain.
December 3, 2019 at 1:00PM •
1 hour 8 minutes
- the commercials you get in your head
- listener feedback on music management
- first results of Merlin's own deep dive on music management alternatives
- thoughts on the "safety" that ends up making us less safe
- the perverse magic of "ghoti"
- thoughts on Dan's cool new laptop
- getting the shell you want
- sometimes Daddy needs to go in the closet
November 27, 2019 at 10:00AM •
1 hour 19 minutes
DISCUSSED: Merlin has an email confession; Dan steps up with a shoulder; listeners have given your hosts a season of the show; praise for HBO's Watchmen; a discussion of curating media for kids; Merlin exercises Personal Privilege; everybody is different!; praise for the new MacBook Pro (and who it may or may not be good for); the beginnings of what could be an extensive series on reclaiming control of your own media; some Plex homework for both listeners and your hosts; a brief rant on the downsides and limitations of renting other people's music; Merlin is birthday-gifted with Planty II plus some awesome @pants materials.
November 19, 2019 at 5:00PM •
1 hour 27 minutes
- updates on travel and packing
- a new notebook Merlin likes
- finding a notebook that accommodates both your brain and the shape of your day
- Merlin's bespoke six-block notebook method
- Dan struggles mightily with his hotel room
- a notional badge for gauging lifetime exposure to a ubiquitous TV celebrity
- some more travel talk, including the promise for a future dedicated episode on travel updates
- a suggestion for trying iOS Voice Control
- finally, in some detail, we return to Synology Corner
November 14, 2019 at 5:00PM •
1 hour 34 minutes
Our worst episode ever. Enjoy!
November 5, 2019 at 2:30PM •
1 hour 6 minutes
Dan is getting a Synology, Merlin has been making stuff, plus the return of "Cool Things I Learned This Week."
October 29, 2019 at 3:00PM •
1 hour 17 minutes
DISCUSSED: coincident birthdays; mathowie's gigantism and very online Ex Machina house; extensive actor and media talk; you probably hadn't heard, but, The Revenant was very difficult to make; Apple TV+ is getting…not great notices; success is a great deodorant, but could iPhone : 2010s Apple :: Windows : 1990s Microsoft?; hardware follow-up on Merlin's new modem and UPS setup; the value of always showing hustle, and why you should always run out first base; Dan's in a jam-up with his internet provider over a seemingly unnecessary piece of harware; further hardware follow-up from Merlin on spreading his wings with his Synology; Dan has a new keyboard he loves; praise for several Logitech products; and, finally, why Merlin just can't quit his MX Master Mouse.
October 22, 2019 at 1:30PM •
1 hour 20 minutes
This week, Dan and Merlin dive into the benefits (and fun) of a NAS project. Also, Merlin goes off about the horror show of letting old people determine the future. Also, also, hey, kung fu movies!
October 17, 2019 at 5:30PM •
1 hour 18 minutes
It's Infrastructure Week! Dan and Merlin start with California's power crisis and end up pivoting to phones, cable TV, and, of course, Apple.
What happens when a resource we think of as a solved part of our infrastructure suddenly isn't so solved?
And, what would Apple look like if it treated all of its services as seriously as it once treated the Mac?
Also: lizard updates, but please don't Google "hornworms."
October 8, 2019 at 5:30PM •
1 hour 9 minutes
This week, Dan and Merlin talk about living in a world of hardware choices.
How do you decide which device is best suited to a given task? Which ones do you find yourself preferring to use because they're friction-free—or just fun?
And, in what ways do our previous behaviors, habits, and expectations end up unconsciously coloring our future decisions?