Enter your search term below and we'll search episodes for the topic you’re interested in.
December 16, 2015 at 9:30PM • 1 hour 31 minutes
En este episodio Fede y Flavio hablan sobre Parallels, Star Wars, propuestas para próximos episodios, el Smart Battery Case, rumores del iPad Air 3 y iPhone 7, Apple trabaja en nuevas pantallas, la compatibilidad del iPhone 6s, cambios en Google Maps, listas de búsquedas de Google, venta de iPhones en India, regalos de Apple a sus empleados, Twitter de Fede y Flavio y En Tu Mac.
December 16, 2015 at 11:45AM • 1 hour 7 minutes
Darryl and Nolan take a journey of exploration through the world of Bluetooth and Core Bluetooth.
Discussion - News we missed
- Swift is Open Source!
- Apple starting to accept pull requests (notably the removal of C-style for loops)
- Docs are also open, and a call has been made for translations
- Apple to remove headphone jacks??
- Audio over Lightning?
Discussion - Core Bluetooth
- Bluetooth’s Background
- Invented by Ericsson in 1994 as a wireless alternative to RS-232 serial interfaces
- IEEE 802.15.1 (Bluetooth) part of IEEE 802.15 (Personal Area Network: PAN) within IEEE 802 (Local and Metropolitan Area Networking, LAN & MAN) Wikipedia Link
- The name is a nod to King Harald "Blåtand" Gormsson (Bluetooth is an anglicanized version of "Blåtand"). King Bluetooth is said to have united the Danish tribes into a single kingdom.
- The logo is a bind rune forming the initials H. B. (sort-of)
- 1 Mbps data rate, > 80 kbps application throughput
- Probably the first version considered “viable.”
- 2.0 + EDR
- 3 Mbps data rate, > 80 kbps application throughput
- 3.0 + HS
- 24 Mbps data rate, but not really: The connection is negotiated over a BT link, but 802.11 is used for data transfer
- 4.0 (Classic and HS) & 4.0 LE (Branded as Bluetooth Smart)
- 24 Mbps data rate, but not really: See 3.0 + HS and LE has extremely low throughput by design (like less than 100 kbps)
- Bluetooth LE
- Totally new protocol specifically designed for low energy consumption and simplified communications
- Peripheral devices can implement just LE, just Classic or both
- Bluetooth LE and Core Bluetooth
- Core Bluetooth provides a layer of abstraction over the GATT profile (Generic Attribute Profile)
- Peripherals are “servers”
- Centrals are “clients”
- Peripherals serve one or more Service(s)
- Services have Characteristics (can be thought of as attributes or properties)
- Characteristics have a value, which may be readable, writable or notifiable
- Using CBCentralManager
- Instantiate the manager and then check for availability (implement the -centralManagerDidUpdateState: delegate method and check for PoweredOn state
- Scan for services with service UUIDs you provide using -scanForPeripheralsWithServices:options:
- When peripherals are discovered, the -centralManager:didDiscoverPeripheral:advertisementData:RSSI: delegate method will be called
- Connect to a peripheral using -connectPeripheral:options:, which in turn will call the delegate’s -centralManager:didConnectPeripheral: method.
- At this point, you can start using the peripheral directly. (And get responses through the CBPeripheralDelegate protocol)
- Discover services with -discoverServices:, which will result in the delegate’s -peripheral:didDiscoverServices: method being called
- Similarly, discover characteristics of a service using -discoverCharacteristics:forService:, from which you can expect a -peripheral:didDiscoverCharacteristicsForService:error: message
- Depending on the peripheral’s configuration, values for a characteristic can be read, written to or monitored for changes (notified)
- Characteristic values are expected to be small. (Like 20 bytes or smaller.) If you need to send larger payloads, it’s possible to roll-your-own streaming protocol atop characteristics.
- I don’t really recommend this, but it’s a fairly common approach
- I suspect some of this comes from the legacy of BT being treated as a dumb serial link
- Apple has recognized this trend and in recent versions of iOS/OS X, they have tried to accommodate higher throughput by negotiating higher MTUs when possible. They even demonstrate how this can be done in one of their WWDC sessions.
December 14, 2015 at 5:30PM • 1 hour 35 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome Alexa Ray Corriea from Gamespot.com to the show this week to talk about Oculus coming with Eve: Valkyrie, EA forming an esports division, the System Shock 3 announcement, Steam accounts being hijacked, and more!
For the Playlist, Alexa Ray has been playing Final Fantasy 7 and a new Ace Attorney in Japanese, Christian is rocking multiplayer in Uncharted 4 beta, Splatoon, and Destiny Sparrow Racing League, and Jeff is finally trying Star Wars Battlefront and the delightful Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist.
For Tabletop Time, Jeff gives some Christmas boardgame buying suggestions and is surprised to discover Anomia, and Alexa Ray talks Cash n Guns and Camp Grizzly
December 1, 2015 at 9:15AM • 1 hour 30 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome Chris Watters from Gamespot.com back to the show this week to talk about his book The Gamer's Bucket List: 50 Video Games To Play Before You Die, which can be purchased here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Gamers-Bucket-List-Before/dp/1633531317
The guys also discuss Black Friday trends and the Avengers FPS that never was.
In the Playlist, there's discussion of Fallout 4, Rocket League, Hard West, Star Wars Battlefront, Downwell, Rainbow Six Siege, and more!
Tabletop Time is all about holiday gaming, with reports from your emails about the best games to play with family. Christian is leaning away from Masquerade and Chris likes Killing Dr. Lucky, and Guillotine.
November 25, 2015 at 8:30PM • 2 hours 1 minute
En este episodio Fede y Flavio hablan sobre una visita en NYC, Jessica Jones en Netflix, historia de un conocido de Flavio, sigue creciendo Apple Pay, configuraciones avanzadas, ¿problema de seguridad con Siri?, nuevo Skype en iOS, ISIS recomienda usar iMessage, nuevas patentes, Google Star Wars, periodo de devolución extendido de Apple, críticas de Apple Music, rebajas para Black Friday, Remote app no funciona, Apple Maps, twitter de Fede y Flavio y Productos Recomendados.
November 23, 2015 at 5:00PM • 1 hour 49 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome Steve Tilley from the Toronto Sun and EP Daily to the show this week to debate the sales prospects of VR, the state of gaming journalism, the Payday 2 dev apology, and more!
For the Playlist, the guys discuss Star Wars Battlefront. Rise of the Tomb Raider, Fallout 4, Rocket League, Guild of Dungeoneering, and more!
For Tabletop Time, Steve remembers his Steve Jackson Games collection, and Jeff considers Thanksgiving on the table top.
All that, plus YOUR emails!
November 16, 2015 at 3:45PM • 1 hour 44 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome Julian Murdoch from the Gamers With Job Conference Call podcast to the show this week to discuss Fallout 4's amazing week, Nintendo's Zelda announcements, the Game Awards nominees and more!
In the Playlist, there's lots more Fallout 4 discussion and debate, Rise of the Tomb Raider love, Star Wars Battlefield insight, COD Black Ops 3 enjoyment. Plus Julian discusses Dirty Bomb and League of Legends.
For Tabletop Time, Julian and Jeff discuss Pandemic Legacy, Alien Frontiers, Ora et Labora, and Gold West
All that, plus a d 100th episode celebration!!
October 21, 2015 at 10:00AM • 1 hour 15 minutes
John, Nolan and Darryl discuss Xcode 7’s new support for UI tests.
Discussion: App Testing with Xcode 7
- Are you (hosts) testing your apps?
- John’s philosophy on testing
- Why should I test?
- When should I test?
- Automated vs. Manual
- Problems with the old, Instruments-based UI testing solution
- Alternatives prior to Xcode 7
- Apple’s new UI testing in Xcode
* Requires iOS 9/Mac OS X 10.11
- Test Recording
- Leverages “Accessibility”
- UI Testing Targets
- API components
- Assertions, XCTAssert
- Elements, XCUIElement
- Proxy for UI things, exposes object type and accessibility label
- Queries, XCUIElementQuery
- Tree navigation, similar to XPath
- Relationships and Filtering
- “app.tables” is actually a convenience method for app.descendantsMatchingType(‘table’)
- Application, XCUIApplication
- Proxy for the application under test, separate and new process
- Dealing with Gotchas
- Simulating events
- No long press, roll your own with pressForDuration
- No 3d touch press (AFAIK)
- Wait for…
- using waitForExpectationsWithTimeout
- without an explicit wait, a total of 3 attempts will be made to resolve a query before failing
- Race conditions
- Item not visible to accessibility
- Note: “isAccessibilityElement” does NOT need to be true in order to be “visible to accessibility”
Alternative Show Title Suggestions
- Get the hell out of non-profits
- Jump on the band wagon
- I Love Star Wars
October 12, 2015 at 5:00PM • 1 hour 36 minutes
Jeff and Christian Welcome Zach Lowery from BossKey Productions to the show this week to talk about Far Cry Primal, Back to the Future DLC in Rocket League, CoD: Black Ops 3 campaign unlocks, and more!
In the Playlist, everybody has been playing Star Wars Battlefront Beta, plus discussion of Rocket League, Rock Band 4, Mario Maker, Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection, Transformaers Devastation, and more.
For Tabletop Time, Zach has been playing Clue, and Jeff suggests some other great deduction games.
August 19, 2015 at 4:30PM • 2 hours 5 minutes
John and Dan talk about fixing cars, metal shop, handheld football games and pacman watches, exploding cigarettes, wearing vests, Wonder Bread Star Wars trading cards, sandwiches, square pizza, owning a thermos, smoking, varmint infestations and deaths, and spiders.
August 19, 2015 at 10:00AM • 40 minutes
Andy Baio joins Dan Benjamin to discuss joining Expert Labs, Kickstarter, the inspiration for Upcoming.org, working for Yahoo!, the Star Wars Kid, copyrights, and more.
Original Air Date: November 18, 2010
August 10, 2015 at 6:30PM • 1 hour 41 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome their old buddy from the Weekend Confirmed days, Indie Jeff Mattas to the show for the first time to talk about all of the big news from Gamescom 2015, including the Mafia 3 trailer, Microsoft's press conference with Scalebound, Quantum Break, and Crackdown 3, Blizzard's new expansion for World of Warcraft, Star Wars Battlefront Fighter Squadron mode, and much more!
In the Playlist, Indie Jeff finished Batman: Arkham Knights, and has been voicing an upcoming survival horror game called Narcosis. Both Jeff's share their love of Watcher 3, and Christian tells his Tale of Fail from Rocket League. Then Christian and Jeff dive into Galak-Z, and Jeff survives Submerged.
For Tabletop Time, Jeff gives a speech about The Contender, and Christian gears up to share Masquerade with his family.