October 31, 2018 at 2:00PM • 48 minutes
In today’s show, we examine the role of platforms in micromobilities rise, and what role they might play in furthering adoption.
Specifically, we cover:
- What an entry into the micromobility space might look like for Apple, and how their experience in interface stepchanges puts them at a unique advantage.
- How autonomous cars are analogous to wormholes vs. a more tactile engaging experience of the world with micromobility.
- What a platform built on a micromobiltiy fleet might look like, and what it might enable, and what names we might give to these experiences in the same way that cars have crusing, drivethrus and cinemas.
- The stage of the market, and the parallels to the Playstation vs Xbox and Android vs iOS arguments.
- How the network effects of micromobility sharing platforms are inverse to the traditional car infrastructure.
- Horace introduces his new research paper looking at modal shifts with the introduction of e-mobility in a cities transport mix.
As always, transcript of this show is available on our Medium page.
Hosted by Oliver Bruce & Horace Dediu.
October 30, 2018 at 8:00PM • 33 minutes
This week we dive into Rambo 5, Call of Duty, Avatar, Deadpool and Frank Grillo yanking our chains. Plus we talk about trick or treating at the ripe old age of 13.
Special guest interview with C. Robert Cargill - writer of Doctor Strange!
Co-Host: Mason Scheer
Hosted by Keith Ruckus.
October 30, 2018 at 2:45PM • 1 hour 23 minutes
This week, Dan and Merlin talk about Apple's Fall event in Brooklyn today. They liked the event.
Hosted by Merlin Mann & Dan Benjamin.
October 30, 2018 at 11:00AM • 37 minutes
They said it would never happen – that we were through, done for, washed up. Turns out, all it took was a new Mac Mini, Macbook Air, and an iPad Pro for us to dust off the mics and smash that record button. Is it a one off? Will there be more? Time will tell...
Hosted by Bill Wadman & Jeffery Saddoris.
October 29, 2018 at 8:00PM • 52 minutes
Web design pioneer, Clearleft chief executive, and UX thought leader Andy Budd chats with Big Web Show host Jeffrey Zeldman about the failings and triumphs of our design community over the past 20 years, why the success of design thinking killed the market for design studios, and how to reinvent your studio or agency for today’s market.
Hosted by Jeffrey Zeldman.
October 29, 2018 at 8:00PM • 33 minutes
This week Joe and Cody discuss their new MacBook Pro's, macOS Mojave, AirPods, iPhone XR reviews, USB-C iPad Pro's, and much more.
Hosted by Cody Coats & Joe Caiati.
October 28, 2018 at 11:00PM • 1 hour 38 minutes
Jeff and Christian welcome Allegra Frank from Polygon.com to the show this week to discuss 100 hour weeks at Rockstar, Xbox Game Pass coming to PC, more Resident Evil games coming to Switch, Destiny 3 rumors, and more!
The Playlist: Red Dead Redemption 2
Hosted by Christian Spicer & Jeff Cannata.
October 28, 2018 at 7:00PM • 1 hour 43 minutes
In the first half of this special double episode of The Critical Path, Horace shares his thoughts on one of the first, and most powerful, corporations ever, the Dutch East India Company and how its impact can still be felt. Later on (54:00), in advance of Apple’s upcoming event in NYC, Horace explores what specifically made New York... New York.
Hosted by Horace Dediu, Anders Brownworth, and Judd Rubin.
October 28, 2018 at 3:00PM • 50 minutes
Tommy brings in a long list of Android app reviews that make no sense. He and Adam discuss the phenomenon of weird reviews online and why they exist.
Hosted by Adam Dachis & Darren Herczeg.